Heron Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia

Thursday 4 October 2012

Bit of a swiz

National Poetry Day today, apparently, and poems were promised for the Piccadilly Circus lights.

Sonnets instead of Samsung, you might think, but not really.

Instead, one relatively small strip at the bottom of all the adverts featured, for a few minutes every hour, some short films inspired by Charles Causley's

I am the song that sings the bird.
I am the leaf that grows the land.
I am the tide that moves the moon.
I am the stream that halts the sand.
I am the cloud that drives the storm.
I am the earth that lights the sun.
I am the fire that strikes the stone.
I am the clay that shapes the hand.
I am the word that speaks the man.


Which was all very well, insofar as they could be made out against the competition from all the other advertising panels (not to mention, depending on where you were standing, having your view obscured by a passing double-decker). A brave attempt, perhaps, but simply swamped:






1 comment:

  1. I am finding this a little bit sad... but it has a weird sense of beauty.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete