Heron Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia

Monday 16 July 2007

I watched The Zimmers Go to Hollywood last night.

Leaving aside the evident similarities with last year's Channel 4 documentary on Young@Heart (I missed the start so there might have been some acknowledgement of them in the Zimmers programme - some hopes), I couldn't help feeling that for all its evident good intentions there was still something a bit superficial about the show. Perhaps it was the focus on getting out a single and creating just another show-business ballyhoo (for heaven's sake, smashing things up was childish when people did it in their 20s, it doesn't become any less so when people think you're well on your way to your second childhood). And we can all guess how long the ballyhoo will last, and what the chances are of its really changing people's attitude, can't we?

I'm still a long way from real old age, but I don't intend to be "wonderful for my age", I intend to carry on doing whatever I'm good at by anyone's standards for as long as I can. I'd rather rage against the dying of the light on my own terms, thank you very much. I think I can do without the chance of being patronised by the likes of George Clooney.

And on a happier note, I loved Sunday night's Prom with the performers from Soweto playing and dancing to Rameau. A wonderful evening, and not in the way one would expect from the words "French Baroque". Such joy, such life, such professionalism and artistry.

EXCEPT

the digital notes were across the bottom of the TV screen where all the action was. Doesn't anyone think about this? (I will forgive the temporary appearance of the Cbeebies smiley across the Requiem: think of it as an omen of the smiles to come).

No comments:

Post a Comment